RSS Feed ReadersSubscribe by RSS Subscribe by e-mail Subscribe by e-mail

Chesapeake Energy Growing in Harrison County

Print This Story Print This Story

During the January Cadiz Business Association January meeting, representatives from Chesapeake Energy presented some of their plans for Harrison County and the natural gas industry.

They explained that 99% of all of wells they drill are productive.  When they prepare to drill they will first select based on geological lay out, water sources, access roads and transportation of the product out.  Once a location has been established, Chesapeake Energy will come in and upgrade the access roads for the heavy vehicles that will be coming and going.

Once the well pad preparation begins, they will work around the clock seven days a week.  Each well takes two to four weeks to set up.  Multiple wells will be drilled in a section but will be reduced to one central rig.  While drilling, Chesapeake Energy uses a “closed loop” style.  This means they will keep a fresh water pit on site, but ALL drilling material will be self contained in non-earth bound containers.  They also take extreme measures when it comes to the well being of the environment.  The drilled hole has “containment casings” and they actually go 100 feet further the Ohio law requires and they add an extra “Intermediate” protective casing that the law doesn’t even require.

The fracturing fluid that is required to extract the natural gas is 99.5% water and sand.  The other 0.5% is environmentally safe materials that help to keep the pipes from rusting.  Each well will use up to 6 million gallons of water, but they pride themselves on recycling almost 100% of the water in their Aqua Renewal program.

Once a rig is completely set up, it will only take up about aproximately one acre and will be maintained on a daily basis.  The surrounding land and drilling sites will be reclaimed.

With all the work Chesapeake is doing, their ultimate goal is to alleviate foreign gas usage.  By moving into Harrison County, they will be bringing the hope of a huge economic growth for everyone living here.  Mineral owners will be receiving bonuses and royalties and gas is found under our feet.  Local workers will be earning wages with all the jobs they will be bringing, because they plan on drilling approximately 10,000 wells in Ohio in 2012.  By the end of the year they plan to have 20 rigs up and working.  Each well will employ 410 people with 150 different positions.  Local businesses will also be able finally see an up-swing in business as Chesapeake hires subcontractors.  And ultimately the schools and county will benefit from the income of more taxes.

For more information about Chesapeake Energy, check out their website AskChesapeake.com.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment and ' liking ' it so that your friends on Facebook can see what is going on here in Harrison County Ohio.
Larry Bertolino

Larry Bertolino

Owner at myLocalPCpro
Larry Bertolino is a 31 year old, U.S Navy Veteran and currently sitting on the board of Directors for the Harrison County Chamber of Commerce, as well as Harrison County Rural Transit.
Larry Bertolino
Larry Bertolino

Latest posts by Larry Bertolino (see all)

Short URL: http://thisismycounty.com/?p=8406

Print This Story Print This Story This Post Sponsored By:



Posted by on January 18, 2012, 4:13 pm. Filed under Business, Community, Featured. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry